Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Best Chocolate (and Chewy) Brownies!

So if you have been reading my blog, you know about the last brownies that I cooked (Supernatural Brownies.) Those turned out to be a complete disaster. But I tied up my heart and baked these brownies that I found on a Google search. And let me tell you, I had to get to page 5 on Google to find these brownies. But it was totally worth the search!



It was on a blog called Chew on That. The recipe is wonderfully titled "Best Chocolate Brownies" (recipe here: Recipe.) Most of the ingredients I needed I had already from the last recipe. All I needed to buy was the chocolate chips, baking chocolate, and baking powder. I really was taking a risk with this recipe. I was hurt with the last recipe and I thought that the same result would happen again: store bought tasting brownies.

I was supposed to make them on Saturday but I didn't want them to be too old. So I baked them on a Monday morning, since I was off from the Fourth of July holiday. I melted the chocolate and butter and the chocolate was so bitter! Thank God the recipe called for 2 cups of sugar. I added that and mixed well. Next, I mixed one large egg into the mix until it was fully incorporated. I had to do this 4 times, since I used 4 large eggs. Next came the cup of flour and one teaspoon of baking powder that I fully incorporated. Then I realized that I forgot to add some vanilla extract so instead of adding 2 teaspoons of it, I put 2 tablespoons. Accident but trust me, they still tasted wonderful with no heavy vanilla taste.

I then added a cup of chopped walnuts, since I like my brownies to have the nuts inside of them and mixed it all together one last time. I had my 13x9x2 baking pan already coated and ready to go. The oven was a toasty 325 degrees so I poured the batter into the pan and then sprinkled the top with a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. The recipe says to bake them for 45 minutes but I wanted my center to be chewy so I cooked them for 40 minutes.

I was so nervous. I was constantly checking up on them and I noticed that the cracks that were forming would have the chips sink in. When I took them out, they kinda looked funny. Not as pretty as the Supernatural Brownies but hey, who's judging? I finally cut them into bars 8 hours later and let me tell you, it was the best brownie I have tasted in 3 years. I was so happy!

My associate pastor was constantly bugging me to make some more brownies so I was too happy to let him have these. They came out with a pretty crust and the middle was perfectly chewy. They also came out thick so I got full on just one. Plus with the chocolate chips at the top, it makes them gooey. He was happy with these and they have been leaving at a fast pace! I doubt that they will be here tomorrow.

Today's a new day so I think I can down two (although I'm on a diet). I don't want them to go stale like the others! Finally, brownie success!!

No comments: