Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Writing as an Art

For a while now, I have been having a story in my head that needs to come out. It all started one night as I was watching a cartoon from the 90's (the name of it is Cybersix). I realized that I missed watching the series, so I went in search of it. At first, it was hard to find anyone that sold the series on DVD but by the grace of God I found 2 sellers selling it at a reasonable price. After some debate and financial checking, I bought it for less than $10 and I watched the whole series from start to finish.

Never in my life have I been so wrapped up in a cartoon! Sure, the Simpsons always makes me laugh but it was something about this cartoon that made me realize that the storyline was excellent. The creators of the cartoon should have never stopped working on it, although it must have had low ratings.

It hurt me to see the last episode of it but for some reason, I saw a way to extend the storyline. To be able to look at someone else's work and figure out a way to extend it is pure marvelous and scary all at the same time. But it's something about this story that screams, "Finish me!"

Personally, I love to write. The one thing that would tick me off about my English classes is the fact that you can't write the way you want; you have to write in the way that the professor wants you to. Writing should be a freeing experience, not confined to someone else's rules. I used to write poetry when I was in middle school but I eventually stopped. Looking back at some of my former work, I realized that I was good. Really good. I was constantly winning awards so why in the heck did I stop?

Then around 2000, I started a book on my computer. To this day, I have yet to complete it (mostly because some of the material I don't understand how to word properly). But ever since then, stories have popped into my head. I would love to be the next J.K Rowling or Jackie Collins but will I?

What I finally realize is that writing is an art. Once a story is in your head, it's like a fever. It's with you the whole time until pen meets paper (or fingers meet keyboard). Your mind is constantly changing it and making it better. So my little saying for today is, keep writing whether you make it to the big time or not. Keep writing for the pure sake of it.

Miracle Reviews

No comments: