Monday, June 14, 2010

Lady Gaga's "Alejandro"

To be honest, I didn't know what Lady Gaga's next music video would have turned out like. The last one, "Telephone", was a complete travesty to me. She took the concept of the original song and turned it upside down with the video. Nothing made sense in "Telephone" and it was so long, it could have been a movie. If I wouldn't have read comments and reviews about "Alejandro" beforehand, I would have been lost on the concept.

Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" shows the viewers issues that seem to be close to her heart: gay rights, the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy in the military, and the Roman Catholic Church's crucifixion of gays & homosexuals. Although reviews have said that it's more tamer than what she usually does, I still disagree. Sure, it's less provocative than "Telephone" but children still can't watch it under a certain age.

My first question is, "Who is Alejandro"? Throughout the video, nothing really signified who this person was. I guess he was the guy in the coffin; I still don't know. Second question leads me to the beef she has with the Catholic Church. She was raised Catholic, so she knows that our rules are very strict and judgmental on homosexuality. I know she was trying to send a message but Madonna beat her to that issue more than 10 years ago. Next....

Overall, I think that I loved the song more than the dancing. I'm listening to it now and it's much better than the original "Alejandro" song. I think that this music video makes her look more like Madonna with her crazy gaga personality thrown in. Good, but not better than the "Bad Romance" video. That has to be my most favorite Gaga video (followed by "Poker Face"). At least these two videos showcased the song perfectly with the right concepts. What happened to the Lady Gaga of those days?

I've loved her songs since "Just Dance" came out. I know how to separate the crazy antics of Gaga and fully appreciate her songs for what they are. But I think the money and fame has truly gone to her head. With each successful song, the concepts for the music video get stranger and stranger. Well, until she reverts back to her old days, I'll keep watching "Alejandro" to find the real message of it.

No comments: