Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Texas Sheet Cake

Today I wanted to write a food review about some recipes that I have tried recently. At the beginning of the month, I decided to bake a Texas Sheet cake. I found it at random on a blog called Daily Dish Recipes. The picture of the cake just sent me on a frenzy! Ironically, my boss's birthday was coming up and we had no cake. So what did my co-worker suggest? That I make this cake for him.

First let me tell you, my boss is a Catholic priest. I really didn't want to kill a member of the clergy since I've been working there so long. Second, I was looking at the cake to test it at my home, not bake for a birthday party! Frenzied panic took over me thinking about how this was going to turn out. I was afraid that it would be horrible and not look anything like the picture on the blog. His birthday party was supposed to be a surprise so how was I to prepare the cake in his kitchen without him noticing me?

My co-workers got most of the ingredients that I needed to make and I had to buy some more because I wanted to make a test cake and the final product. If the test cake failed, there was no way in hell I would serve it to my boss to be laughed at. So I printed out this recipe and another one just for the illustrations but I followed the DDR one to the T. I did everything that I was supposed to do while my boss was in his office working. In truth, he was trying to figure out what I was doing but my co-workers lied to him. I know, we're going to hell in a wastebasket.

Anyway, the first cake was finished and I was excited to see how pretty it was. My co-worker in the afternoon was torn between cutting it and not cutting it. I took the leap of faith and cut it. I noticed that it broke up very easily but I only gave it like 10 minutes to rest. It was firm at the first 2 layers and the last layer was extremely moist. I thought that the sour cream was the reason for it. It didn't taste overly sweet although 3 kinds of sugar was used to create it. So the test cake was a success!

My co-worker tried it and loved it. So did my deacon and associate pastor of my parish. I had to call the other co-worker to get more ingredients and the one thing I didn't want to happen happened. My boss was headed my way! He turned around once he saw me & my co-worker in the kitchen hiding with cake in our mouths and I burst out laughing because I think he knew what I was trying to do. I created the final cake and had to do overtime to do so. This one I let rest overnight in another room, not the refrigerator. That would have been too obvious! I lied to my boss and said that the test cake was for my first co-worker's mother's birthday. She took a plate of cake home with her and my other co-worker because it was a huge cake!

All in all, when the truth came out the next day, my boss wasn't surprised. In fact, he was highly amused at the creative lie I left on his desk about the cake. He loved it and everyone else at the party although I was sweating bullets that no one would have gotten sick. In my honest opinion, I thought the cake was good but not what I expected it to be. I was on a brownie kick at the time and it looked like a big brownie cake (even with the pecan topping). But everyone enjoyed it so I lived with that. Success!

Bake it tonight and wow your family!

Miracle Reviews

No comments: